Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13, 2013 - Now Let us Rejoice!

FAMILIA!
 
Now is a time for much rejoicing in all of the lands near and far, because this Hermana has got her TRAVEL PLANS. HOLLABACK.
Anyways, this Tuesday I'll be lugging all of my bags (which, by the way, I'm pretty sure exceed 50 pounds each. The airport shall be a blastyblast.) to the opposite end of the MTC to get on a shuttle at 5 in the AM (don't ask me about my feelings on that one....) and head to the SLC airport, where I will get on a plane and fly to San Diego, arriving at approximatly 9:30 in the morning.
 
YOU GUYS. IT'S REAL.
 
The same day we got our plans my mission president sent me a letter basically saying "We are so excited to see you and wave to you as you get off the plane!", and detailing our first day. We'll spend the day and night at the mission home just getting to know the presidency and all that, and the next day is transfers, where we will get our companions and head to our area. Oh man, family, I am so excited. I'M SO EXCITED!!!! I can't wait to be in San Diego, and while I'm a tad (understatement) nervous because of the language, I am just plain excited to meet these people. I may not speak the language perfectly, but I can still love people. Bliss.
 
But I am sad to be leaving the MTC and my district zone. But I do believe it's time to go, because I'm getting far too comfortable here. I think it's time to "get out of the garden" and head out to the next adventure. I love the MTC and the spirit that is here, though. It's a place that is very different than anywhere else in the world, and it's come to feel like a different "home". I guess where you are living in a place where all you do is push your limits, you develop a love for it. I've grown up a ton here, and I will admit that I'm sad to leave it. But it's time, so bring on the beach. (we can go swimming, right? :))
 
This week for personal study I've been focusing on the plan of salvation and our purpose here on earth. Man, everytime I study this gospel I leave the room thinking "This gospel is SO COOL!". I think it's incredible that a bunch of 18-21 year olds are teaching about the purpose we have on this earth, when for the rest of the world it remains an uncertainty. Personal study is my favorite hour of the day, for sure. I wish it would last longer because the more I study, the more I realize that I need to learn.
 
I made an "Our Purpose" flowchart. It's colorcoded.
 
Daylight savings is awesome. Really. JOKE.
 
The elders in our district went to the Mexican consolate in SLC for Visa stuff and they came back with "I saw a girl wearing pants and it was WEIRD" stories and a whole bunch of diet coke... I relapsed. I am ashamed.
 
One of the Hermana's in my district's mom sent her a ukulele. Much rejoicings were had!
 
We are studying the commandments this week afterwards our teachers challenged us to give up something for a week so we can somewhat understand what it's like to kick an addiction. Me and the other Hermanas gave up sugar. I'm riding the struggle bus, and it's been 2 days.
 
YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST REALIZED?!?! I GET TO CALL YOU GUYS ON TUESDAY!!!!!!! In the morning. Probably around 7-7:30ish but I honestly have no idea. But I get to hear your voices!! Dad and David, I'm sure mom would let you stay home from school and work, right? Talking to your daughter/sister is important. Plus I would be sad if you didn't. I'm sorry I don't have more details, or even how long I get to talk, but I'm just dang happy that I get to talk to you guys!!!
 
We had an awesome devotional last night by Paul V. Johnson (of the Seventy) and it was all about submitting ourself to the Lord. It may be one of the hardest things we have to do in this life, but it's a commandment for a reason. It's the key to becoming the person we are meant to become, when we CHOOSE to do something that we (the natural man) doesn't want to do. It's hard, because in this world "submitting oneself" is a sign of weakness, but in God's eyes, submitting ourselves is POWER. We will be strong in areas where we are weak (Ether 12:27...I always think of Ty because that one is his favorite), we will become more like the Savior, and we will have power.
 
Here's the thing about submitting ourselves. We have to get lost. We have to get lost in the service of God because that is the only way were are able to truly find ourselves. I know it sounds like it should be on an inspirational poster or something cheesy like that, but I have a testimony of that. When we lose ourselves in the service of God, we find ourselves. That's why we're here! I want you all to know that while I'm here serving the Lord, I want to be completely lost. I think it would be the saddest and most heart-wrenching thing if I don't become the person or the missionary I was supposed to be, because I held on too tight to who I was before. It's not about me, guys (can you believe I just said that?) but it's true. I don't want it to be about me anymore.
 
God is real. Christ is real. They live. There are very few perfect things on this planet but This Gospel IS. I thank Heavenly Father everyday for letting me perform this work.
 
I love you all more than I ever have. It grows everyday!!!
 
With all of my heart,
Hermana Hess

1 comment:

  1. WHen does Kelsey leave the MTC, if I have a package to send to her, do I send it to the MTC or the mission home??

    ReplyDelete