Tuesday, May 27, 2014

May 27, 2014 - The Week Where we Didn't Eat Breakfast...Ever

I'm still trying to catch my breath from this week-it's flown and I feel like I've left a part of my brain in the 4 areas we coached in so this might not be the most eloquent letter that has ever been written. MTE season is full in force, so we haven't been in our area at all. But it's so cool to see how Heavenly Father has kept our area going. It's the most miraculous thing ever - seeing progression when we haven't even seen people. It's been pretty humbling to see God making up for the many, many things that I lack. This MTE was all about teaching simply, street contacting, and member-missionary work and it was a good reminder for things that I need to improve. Being a coach in the biggest blessing because we can get the lessons 5 or 6 times in a week - I need it. I think that's why I'm an STL, I need more reminders haha.
 
The coolest thing about MTE's is the sheer amount of miracles that we get to see in other people's areas! I went up to Poway with a companionship who has been struggling with adding investigators. We had a goal to apply every single little thing we learned that morning in the meeting in ALL the lessons with the faith that Heavenly Father would put people in our path. Those Hermana's ended up adding 4 new investigators in one day and they met 2 solid potentials. 3 of those 4 was a family:) They got another family with a baptismal date and we taught like crazy! Man, I love coming home on those days-you're totally whipped and your feet kill you but you're the happiest person in the world.
 
The next day we went to City Heights for another coaching day and we did my favorite thing I've ever done on my mission: We're doing this big promotion for the REAL Book of Mormon (the musical is coming to town this week) so literally all day we walked around downtown San Diego and talked to people on the streets by the theaters about the Book of Mormon. DANG it was so cool! I was in heaven being in the big city! The area where we were reminded me a lot of 16th street in Denver so I was trippin' out a little. We met the craziest people and it was a blast. It took us forever to find a parking spot so for an hour or so we literally did some drive-by contacting (tell the driver to pull over, open your window, and yell really loud.) I was loving every minute of it. Also, I learned how to contact people in Arabic. Missions are the best.
 
We were at a member's house the other day and all of a sudden she says, "Let's go walk around my trailer park and contact people!" SHE'S THE COOLEST!!! A young teenager walked by us and she straight up called her out and said "Hey! these two sisters have something for you! listen to them!". The girl said she was a Jehovah's Witness and so Hermana Solis just said "well, good luck.". She turned around, made a nasty face and said quietly, "Testigos de Jeovah! I hate them, They don't believe in Jesucristo. What is that??". Oh Hermana Solis....LOVE HER. We might have a lesson in charity sometime soon.
 
Jorge (our recent convert) is doing the same thing. He tells EVERYONE he's LDS and last night he literally yelled at the top of his lungs "COME JOIN MY CHURCH!!" on his street. I love it when people are converted!!!!
 
It was an interesting weekend. Some members of our zone had to get emergency transferred for a few different reasons. Sometimes, I just don't want to know the details and I wish people just wouldn't tell us.  Breaks your heart. The worst part is that these missionaries go home in a month...they were SO close and now run the risk of having to go home. I don't think I've ever prayed for a group of missionaries more.  Hermana Barnes and I were talking last night and I mentioned to her, "Why didn't they just FINISH??". I feel so awful for these missionaries that I looked up to so much. It was a rough reminder that Satan doesn't stop working on you, even if you wear a tag. It's the compilation of the little things that create big sins and it was a wake up call for a lot of us that Heavenly Father will ALWAYS uncover the things we keep secret. So just finish. Do the little things - don't fall into the trap of being obedient to just the BIG commandments. They're all big and they're all worth keeping. Endure to the end. Finish up. Be happy.
 
And while the mission is hard and you heart breaks on a daily basis, when Heavenly Father tells you "well done" at the end of the day, it's worth it.
 
This is a boring email....my bad! I'm going on an exchange with HERMANA OLIVER this week so next week's will have a lot more exclamation points haha.
 
I love you!
 
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment