Tuesday, April 16, 2013

April 16, 2013 - That one time where a G.A. came to San Diego/preparation precedes the miracle?

Hola familia!!

Can I just say how much I LOVE you guys?? Cause I do. True story.

This week we went to San Diego twice, one for a trainer/trainee meeting and another for Mission Conference. It's a 2 hour drive one way, so we basically lost 2 days of proselyting, which wasn't my favorite, but the meetings were so great that it was worth it! Especially mission conference. Elder Whiting of the Seventy came and he's a really amazing person. He shook every one of our hands and when he asked where I was from and I said "Denver", he exclaimed, "FINALLY, SOMEONE NOT FROM UTAH". We became great friends.

Funny story about mission conference. The week before, our mission president asked us all to write a 5 minute talk on the Doctrine of Christ because Elder Whiting was going to randomly call 3 elders and 2 sisters to share them in the middle of his talk. I kinda (along with the REST OF THE MISSION) forgot about it until after conference started, but didn't really worry about it because "they're not going to call on a brand-new missionary where there are like 200 people here".

Funny joke. Guess who got called on.

When he said "Sister Hess", my heart DROPPED. My only thought was "I AM ABOUT TO SPEAK IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE MISSION, THE MISSION PRESIDENT AND HIS WIFE, A GENERAL AUTHORITY AND HIS WIFE, AND ALL OF THE SENIOR COUPLES AND I FORGOT TO PREPARE A TALK". It was a stressful moment.

So I went up and sat on the stand next to the other 4 missionaries (all of whom were looking a little pale haha) and asked "Ok, Heavenly Father. What can I say to these people who already know significantly more than I do? What can I say that will make them think? What can I say that will bring the spirit, above anything else?". The only thought that came to my head was "Home". We have been given the gospel, because we are HIS. Because he wants us to come home. We have faith, so we know whose we are. We have been given the opportunity to repent so we can stand before Him, when we are finally home, and be welcomed into open arms. We have been commanded to be baptized, so we can make covenants and say "Heavenly Father, I know that I am yours". We receive the gift of the holy ghost so we can feel the love that our Father in Heaven wants us to feel. We are commanded to endure to the end because He, our Father, wants us to be happy and live in a way where we can come Home. 
There are so many other facets about the Doctrine of Christ, but Heavenly Father told me to talk about that. So I did. The other 4 missionaries' talks were completely different from each other too, but combined we were able to share the importance of this Gospel in 5 different ways, somehow creating a big circle of doctrine. It was a major tender mercy, being able to go up and share my testimony and teach about something that means so much to me. I've been pretty down on myself for my lack of ability to speak and share the way I want to, so having that chance to do that was an answer to prayer. It gave me a major boost for the rest of the week and I learned that you don't need to have perfect spanish to effectively teach. Just the Spirit. And hard work. My lessons have been a lot better this week after that experience. Not perfect, but better.

That being said, I am never not preparing again! It worked out perfectly this time, but NEVER AGAIN am I subjecting myself to that kind of terror haha. Preparation preceded the miracle, dad. Dang Straight. (Side note for mom and dad: they WEPT like.........I refrain from finishing that statement in hopes that I won't be judged.)
Because we live so far away, the Mission President gave us special permission to go to the temple. You guys, I seriously have no words for that experience. That temple is the most spectacularly beautiful building I have ever seen. Family reunion post-mission? YES. I thought about you all a lot while I was there and felt your presence really strong. It was good to hang out with the entire fam again!

Funny moment of the week: me and the other sisters contacted a guy at a stoplight the other day in the city. Rolled down the window, gave him a Book of Mormon and a pass-along card, bore our testimonies, and went on our way. All before the light turned green.

Ok, mom. Go buy vocal point's "Lead thou Me on". You don't need to pre-listen to see if it's good. IT'S GOOD. Buy it, then burn me a copy and send it to me:) Their version of Danny Boy and Praise to the Man are LOVELY. Also: Mom, dad, whoever is reading this, if you wanted to send me object lesson ideas for FHEs or shorter lessons, that would be awesome.

The ward keeps getting stronger and stronger!! I'm so proud of them! We had an amazing testimony meeting, and my heart was just filled with love for these amazing people, who don't have much in their lives, but continually strive to serve the Lord in ways that they can.

We are teaching an older woman named Yolanda, and at the beginning of the lesson she said that the church she goes to told her not to have us over anymore. We were pretty bummed, but decided to teach her about the gospel. By the end of the appointment she said, "I don't care what the other church said. You come come over Thursday!" She is the best!
Well, family, I love you! SO MUCH! I hope that all is well and that everyone is so happy. You better be....
 
Love you all with all the love that I have in my heart,

Hermana Hess 

No comments:

Post a Comment