Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April 9, 2013 - D. Todd Christofferson quoted Les Mis!

Family!
 
Wasn't general conference the greatest thing in the History of the World?! I thought so too. I always thought it was funny how missionaries got so excited about conference, but now I definitely understand why haha. It really is the superbowl of missionary work and I soaked up every word that was said! Me and the other sisters were contemplating sneaking into the Priesthood session, but then decided against it. Skirts would look a little out of place.
 
I could name off all my favorite parts, but that would take me forever. Quentin L Cook's was one of my favorites. I've always loved the concept of "peace" because in my mind, it's greater than happiness. In my opinion, peace is when you know you are doing what God needs you to do, and in turn that generates the highest of happiness's (is that grammatically correct?) in one's life. I learned that while I was preparing to serve my mission, and I appreciated that reminder from Elder Cook...
 
I think my all time favorite was Elder Holland. I always love it when he speaks, and this time was no different. He is an incredible example of faith, and I think my all time favorite quote from him was "If your faith is tested, lean on mine." I want that so bad. That perfect faith that is so immeasurable, that I can invite others to lean on it if theirs is waning. I've learned that since being on a mission, faith needs to be obtained individually. I can't give them some of mine, or let them lean on it no matter how much I want them to. They need to find it and experience it for themselves. What an amazing calling that I am able to have, that I get to help them find it and realize the joy that faith in their Heavenly Father and Savior brings to their lives.
 
Dad, I think you and D. Todd have the same tie.
 
This week was awesome! We went on exchanges and the Sister I went with is leaving this next transfer, so she definitely has a "fire" about her. We ended up finding 4 new investigators that day and 2 of them committed to baptism. (Although after one of them said "yes" she started talking about how the ghost of her deceased husband visits her nightly, and she'll have to ask for his permission.) Yep. It was SUCH a good day. Missionary work is the best!
 
Cool moment of the week. We were in a lesson with an investigator and she was having a really hard time believing what we were saying and feeling the spirit. Then your letter came into my mind, mom. The one where you mentioned singing your testimony. Heavenly Father said "Sing 'I am a Child of God', Sister Hess!" So I did. I invited her to listen to the words. After I finished she had tears in her eyes. It was a cool moment and I'm stoked that she felt the spirit so strong. I feel very blessed that Heavenly Father gave me that chance.
 
I LOVE working with members! Man. We have the awesome chance to work with tons of less-actives, and the best feeling that I've experienced so far is seeing that flicker of "oh yeah, that's why I joined the church" come alight in their eyes. We are gaining the trust of our ward and they are incredible about giving us referrals. Especially with the youth. Mom and dad I now know why you love working with and serving the youth so much!! They are so solid in the gospel! I just want to say, "KEEP GOING. YOU'RE DOING GREAT" to the three active ones in our ward. They're the best!
 
We have mission conference on Friday and another meeting on Wednesday, so we are going to San Diego twice this week (ROAD TRIIIP. Bustin out to MOTAB!!). Our ZL's gave us special permission to go to the temple on Friday because here in the Valley we never get to go with the mission when they go every 3 months. I AM SO EXCITED.
 
Want to know another favorite quote from conference? Falabellas "A child who sings is a happy child". Dang straight.
 
We hear the famous "And this is My work and My glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" scripture all the time. I always blew it off as another scripture mastery to memorize. But during personal study last week as I was reflecting on what I wanted my mission to be, it became something totally different. I re-wrote the scripture in my mind (I don't know if I'm allowed to do that. Did it anyway.).
 
This is My work, and His glory.
 
This is my work, to go find these beloved sons and daughters of God and bring them home. It's amazing how personal it becomes, when you realize that God trusts you enough to go find His children and remind them of who they are. It's incredible to go about the business of reminding. Not converting. Reminding. I didn't realize how personal it became until we had to drop an investigator, and it broke my heart. Funny how the Lord changes your heart, and allows it to hold more love than you ever thought it could.
 
Missionary work is cool. Loving this much is cool. Singing "Oh what a beautiful morning!" at 6:30 in the morning is cool.
 
I love you!! With all of the constantly-growing love I have in my heart!
 
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment