Tuesday, June 4, 2013

June 4, 2013 - Since when did it get to be June?

Hola Familia!! 

OH HEY HEY! Greetings from the desert. It's 111 degrees outside. OH MY GOSH. WHY? Although I learned this week that Prince Charles or whatever his name is was sent to the Valley for his military training because the weather is a lot like Afghanistan. I don't believe the person who told me that.

This week has been crazy! Definitely a week of ups and downs. We had a day where we taught 7 back-to-back lessons and then the next day we only taught one because everyone cancelled their appointments and nobody answered their door. And then it happened again the next day. Not awesome. I was beginning to get really, really discouraged. Our investigators aren't progressing, the ward is suffering (there were only like 50 people at church on Sunday) and we haven't been able to teach as much because no one wants to hear a message. I've heard the term "Si Dios Quiere" (If God Wants...means NO) more times this week than I have my entire mission and not gonna lie, yesterday I was feeling bummed. We had to drop an investigator that I absolutely love because we've been teaching her for two months and she wasn't progressing-so I have officially experienced my first total heartbreak of the mission. We've dropped people before, but we had such high hopes for her. Then we found out that one of the bishops in the stake donated his guest house to the church, so we are moving there on Friday. I should be stoked, but it's super far away from everything and everyone so we won't be able to see the other missionaries as much....

But we got a brand new 2013 Corolla yesterday with 150 miles on it. And it's my turn to drive. Not a bad life.

Honestly, this past week has been an answer to prayer (in a weird way). We had a "Sister's Meeting" last week (basically all the sisters in the mission got together and talked about their feelings.....it was just a shoot-dang BLASTYBLAST....not.) and a TON of the sisters went on about how depressed they were, how they always are comparing themselves, how they feel lonely and a bunch of other stuff. I kindof just sat there, because I don't feel any of that. I guess I felt guilty for being happy haha. So I just had to ask myself, "Do I love the people enough? Do I love the work enough? Because we aren't successful, and I'm NOT down about it. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?". But then we had to drop Yolanda, and I was completely heartbroken about it, and then we didn't get to teach as much, which BUGGED THE JUNK OUTTA ME. So this rough week was definitely an answer to prayer! I love the people, I love the work, I love being a missionary, LIFE IS SO GOOD. Now someone tell my comp this so that she stops crying all the time. Sorry. Too Far.

This week we went to a dinner appointment with a Lady named Hilda-who is a spitfire old lady with no filter. She told me I was never getting married because I don't cook a whole ton. And then she said that "all women should do background checks on their future husbands to make sure there is no funny business." Direct quote!! She's one of my favorites!

I seriously cannot believe that this is the last week of the transfer. It went by so fast! So next week at 8 am on Tuesday our ZL's text us and they tell us either to pack our bags or that we're staying home. Everyone in the zone has a feeling that big things are going to go down here in the Valley. My comp is convinced she is leaving, but I think I'm staying. I hope I am, at least. Definitely not done with the Valley! Although it's SO HOT. ALL THE TIME.

Sorry this is a bit of a boring letter. Rough week-probably the hardest one yet. But I've noticed that in the past 4 months of my mission, I've developed the ability to control my thoughts and keep them positive. Instead of getting discouraged or disheartened, I just get more and more pumped up. I think I get that ability from you, mom and dad! Way to be!

LOVE YOU GUYS! this week I ate cactus. It was really good. still eat beans with every meal. Still not good. Nasty....

With all the love in my heart,
Hermana Hess 

No comments:

Post a Comment