Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 29, 2013 - I like Pigeons

OH HEY HEY!
 
So we were at our bishops house for dinner on Sunday night, and the topic of legalizing pot came up (don't ask why....). When I reminded them that I was from Colorado, Bishop promptly yelled out "Oh THAT'S why you're so happy all the time!". Nicely done, Colorado, for making innocent and true joy seemingly impossible without the use of substance-abuse. Not pot, people. The gospel. GO GET HIGH ON THAT.
 
Hi guys!
 
This has been another crazy week here in the Valley. It is hot. The humidity has rolled in. The people here still don't turn on their air conditioners....But it's been such a great week! Me and my comp had the awesome opportunity to teach mission prep to a bunch of 18 year olds on Sunday, which was a total blast! There are few things I love more than teaching youth, especially when you just get a "good group". We were asked to talk about "obtaining the word"-so dad you have been officially quoted here in the Valley. "Preparation precedes the miracle!". People wrote it down. You're a big deal. They wept. Awwww yeah. Job done.
 
We were talking to our investigator named Yolanda (the crazy ghost-obsessed one) about why she needed to come to church. All of a sudden she yells out "OK FINE. I will go to your church. But if I go and it's not right I am telling God to blame both of you. IT'S NOT MY FAULT." We were so stoked! Unfortunately she called on Saturday and said she couldn't come...because her caretaker was coming....because she couldn't move....because she was sick.....and about 4 more excuses. Not awesome.
 
This ward's numbers are slowly but surely going down. Our bishop came and talked to us about it. He says that it happens every couple of months-they have a few really good weeks, and then people stop coming because they just forget that it's important. I guess it's this never-ending cycle this ward has always been dealing with. So as a district we decided what we could do to help the ward and we felt prompted to ONLY SEE MEMBERS this entire week, and help them to remember their testimonies. Not gonna lie, I was kinda skeptical when we decided that's what we were going to do, but as the week went on, I saw miracles. We taught the same lesson to all the members-the Restoration and the Book of Mormon, but every lesson turned out different. I just love it when the Spirit guides the lesson, and that was especially apparent this week! I love it when you can literally see the person in front of you "remembering". Missionary pay-day, right there. You can see it in their eyes, you can see it in their smiles. Being in the business of reminding....it's a good life people. It's a happy life.
 
This week me and Sister Garlow (the other one of the English sisters who are serving here....basically becoming my best friend here on the mission) made up a missionary-centered song and dance number to "Children, Go Where I Send Thee" and then danced to it in the parking lot of the church on P-day. Alma 26:16...."Who can glory too much in the Lord?" NOT ME.
 
Every day I am continually in awe of the perfect Gospel we have, especially the Book of Mormon. The more I teach about it, the greater my testimony is about the perfection that it contains. You know what, it feels good to be a part of an army that is preaching this gospel, and our main choice of weaponry is the Book of Mormon. It feels good to hold perfection in your hands, people. And that's really what it is. It's a miracle that we can hold in our hands. My copy is beat up. The pages are falling out and it's no longer all shiny and pretty-looking, but it is my prized possession. It is our salvation. Cool, huh? That was something fun to teach in mission prep this past Sunday. As missionaries, we are preaching salvation. The Book of Mormon is our textbook. So study up, because this is a test that we cannot fail. We need to go get our brothers and sisters and bring them home, and this can only be done through the Book of Mormon.
 
I learned how to make tortillas....The member who taught us told me that I wasn't very good....but she said "it's ok, you can sing good."
 
Being a missionary is definitely the hardest thing I have ever loved to do.
 
I love you all, with all of my heart!!!
 
Hermana Hess
Official Border Patrol Agent

No comments:

Post a Comment