Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 10, 2013 - El Centro is Flooded!

What's up family!!!!

First off, Talia sent me that pictures y'all took together at the football game and my heart swelled with pride. See dad?! You wore an Aggie hat and it didn't burn!! And they won! I love the Aggies...
Haha ok, so last week's email resembles that of a whiny teenage girl, so I need to full out apologize. Moment of weakness-the music major came out so it was a bit on the dramatic side. But it's ok, because I got a huge attitude adjustment and this week was awesome! I definitely know why I am here still, and every day I am here the more grateful I am. Heavenly Father has let me know pretty clearly what He needs out of me these next few weeks and I couldn't be more stoked! WHAT A GOOD LIFE!!!
 
This week was awesome! We have a really great group of investigators-probably the most solid that we've ever had. We've been teaching a woman named Herminda for a few weeks and she absolutely loves it when we come over and is super receptive! She's a miracle-she received the missionary lessons a few years ago from the English elders (she seriously speaks NO English) and she was reading the English Book of Mormon with a dictionary! She's super cool. We were talking about baptism the other day-she's very Catholic-and she just outright stood up and said "I think it's dumb that Catholics baptize babies. Why the heck do they need to be baptized?! They're babies!"-I was DYING haha. The only problem is that she is super busy and never has more than 15 minutes to have a lesson...It's hard to teach a good Plan of Salvation in 10 minutes... But she's awesome.

Oh my gosh Marbella Brillones FINALLY accepted to be baptized!!! She said she knows she is ready and that it's something she needs to do. We went a few weeks ago and she said that she wanted to wait until her son got out of jail to be baptized and she didn't know when that would be, but the other day we went back and she said her sons will be getting out on Friday! Hello, miracles. She is amazing-easily on of the most special people I have met on my mission and probably in my life.
 
We knocked on Teri and Yvonne's door for our appointment, and Yvonne opened the curtain, saw us, and never opened the door, so that was a bummer. We are planning on going back today:)

We have 2 new elders in our district and they're exactly what this area needs! One came out with me so I already knew him and both are great elders with a lot of energy. Our entire district is now full of energetic missionaries and it's THE BEST. 
On Sunday, the bishopric asked me to lead to music, which made me happy. We sang "Yo se que vive mi Senor" (I know that my redeemer lives) for the sacrament hymn, and on the third verse (the tear-jerker...) I watched as Damian stood up and went to join the other missionaries sit in front of the sacrament table and pass the sacrament for the first time. The entire ward watched me cry like a baby. Great. But man, I was so happy! Easily one of the most amazing moments of my mission, I was smiling the whole day.
 
This week I was talking to a member and we asked her who her favorite character in the Book of Mormon was. She replied "Me.". After we sat in confused silence for a few seconds, she expanded. "I sat beside Nephi as he made a bow, I listened to King Benjamin give his speech to the multitudes, I touched the hands and feet of the Savior with the Nephites, I wept with Christ as I watched them pray, I fought with the Stripling warriors, I sat with Mormon as he abridged the plates."
I just remember sitting there, listening to the testimony of someone my age, and knowing that she "knew" the Book of Mormon. She let it change her life, she let it become a part of her. I went home and read. And read and read and read. And then made goals. I want that Book to become as much a part of me as it was for Katya Angulo. When I asked her how she obtained such a strong testimony, she replied "I just read."
So, "Just Read." No matter how tired you are or how many times you've read that verse. Just read. Go hang out with Nephi or Moroni or Amulek. Can't think of a better way to spend your time.
What a good life. What a great life. I love you so much!!!!! I hope y'all are so dang happy!!

Love you more than y'all know,

Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment