Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1, 2013 - Baby Goats

The family we live with decided to become the adoptive parents of a herd of goats, so on Wednesday we spent a few minutes playing with goats. Not sure why....Anyway they decided they didn't like them so they gave em back and now I have a rather large and unsettling hole in my heart from the absence of farm animals in my life.
 
 
This week was so good! We didn't teach as much as we ususally do but we did a ton of service which felt really good. I never thought mopping a floor or cleaning blinds would make me this happy. Missions do weird things to you haha. We've been talking as a district about how to help our ward become stronger and more supportive towards one another and we all felt that service was the way to go. I can't tell you how many miracles we have seen this week only because we decided to skip a dinner hour and bring food to another family. It's the simple things that really make the biggest impression, and I wish it didn't take me this long to realize that haha.
 
 
IS OUR HOUSE UNDERWATER?! Geez that's so crazy!! A member mentioned something about the flood and she said Colorado is falling apart "because you all smoke marijuana". I seriously could not stop laughing!!! When I told her that my family is from there she said "Good because I bet they are the only people who don't smoke the drugs. They are keeping Colorado alive". So way to go, family. You're saving the state.
 
 
We are teaching this part member family with a 16, 14, and two 12 year old boys. The 12 year olds absolutely love the gospel and whenever we go they say, "I want to be baptized!". The mom is a member but she hasn't been for years. It's been really cool to see the sons be an example to the mom and see her face light up whenever we talk about the Gospel. They were going to San Diego this weekend and when the kids found out they started to cry because "I wanted to go to church so bad!!!". Amazing!!! So keep the Rocha family in your prayers!!!!
 
 
Quote of the week. We were talking about prophets and general conference to the Silva family and when we asked the dad what is the difference between him and President Monson, he simply said "Nothing. We are children of God". Yep...
 
 
So we've been teaching these kids for about 3 weeks now and they're baptismal date is set for next week! In this mission it's a rule that investigators need to attend church 3 times before they can be baptized. Their parents don't have a car so we have to ask members to give them rides. The thing is, our bishop doesn't allow us missionaries to ask members for rides for investigators for fear of them becoming too dependent. We were super bummed...We had to call them on Sunday morning and say that they couldn't come to church because no one could give them a ride, which was the worst. So we were sitting in the chapel right before it starts, and all of a sudden the kids walk in! Their less-active cousin that they live with took it upon herself to call a friend and ask for a ride. I was speechless. It was a great lesson in faith...It's been so long without member support that I started to lose faith in the people, which I shouldn't have done. It was a good little "slap in the face" miracle that I needed. We need to have faith in our Savior, but we should also have faith in people and trust that Heavenly Father's hand is everywhere.
 
 
Man I love my mission. I was thinking about the past 8 months and I can't believe just how much they've impacted me. It's been the toughest yet happiest 8 months of my entire life, and I can't get over how blessed I am to be here! It feels so good to belong to something, knowing that you are a part of something that is led by a coach who can't lose. We just need to make sure that we are worthy to play the game and lose ourselves on the field. So read your scriptures. Go to church. Realize that seminary is the best thing to happen to 14-18 year olds. Pay attention. Don't be dumb:)
 
 
I'm praying for the Aggies this week with all that my soul possesses.
Love you all so much!!!!! More than you realize.
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment