Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October 8, 2013 - CONFERENCE!!!!

 
Let me just say that on behalf of all missionaries around the world that CONFERENCE IS AND WILL FOREVER BE AS MAGICAL AS CHRISTMAS.
 
 
MAN Conference was the best!! All the missionaries in my zone got together and watched it at the Family History Center in El Centro-it was super cool to be in a room with only missionaries listening to the words of a prophet. It was like the Superbowl-everyone brought snacks and drinks and we placed bets on how many times the Law of Chastity was going to be mentioned. I don't even know if I had a favorite. I loved Uchtdorf's and Eyring's and Dube's and Gifford's and Oak's and Bednar's...But in all reality, that conference was way inspired and powerful, probably one of the most powerful ones I've seen. I can't decide if that's because I'm a missionary or what haha.
 
 
This week was crazy fast-I can't believe it's already the last week of the transfer! It freaking FLEW. But it was a good one! At the beginning of last week me and Sister Oliver really wanted to teach more lessons focused on the Restoration-we concentrated our efforts in finding more people and having a lot more Restoration lessons with our members and Less-Actives. I've been on my mission 8 months and still the most powerful spirit I have ever felt is when we recite the first vision. There is seriously no denying the power and spirit in the room every time we recount Joseph Smith's words. It just feels good; feeling the spirit as a literal and physical force running through your veins. I love all the lessons we teach, but the Joseph Smith story will probably always be my favorite.
 
 
The other day we contacted and taught a Jehovah's witness! BUCKET LIST OF LIFE? CHECK. She was actually really nice and we had a good conversation. We shared the Restoration with her and after she just said "Well, y'all are nice girls, but I just disagree with all of it. Have a nice day! Don't come back!" SO that was a bit of a bummer, but the J-DUBS are all over the place here and I've always wanted to teach one. Aw yeah!
 
 
Oh  my gosh the Rocha boys are doing great!!! We taught them the first half of the Plan of Salvation and they were smiling the whole time!! The mom was there too and she was just beaming. We talked about prayer at the end and when we invited them to pray every night on their knees, the mom just goes "OH YES THEY WILL! I'll remind them every night. You can count on it!". I wanted to hug her. Man that family is so prepared! The boys just have an awesome desire to make the right choice, and they bring up baptism every time we go over. Christian, one of the twins, said the closing prayer and he said "Heavenly Father, this is breast cancer month. Please bless that they will find a cure before 2030 or twenty-one-zero-zero. Also, thanks for giving us the chance to make the choice to come down here to earth and I'm excited for what comes next". He's a champ!!
 
 
There is a less-active in our ward named Liliana and we are teaching her non-member husband. They're some of the coolest people we know! He at first was really hesitant to us coming over, but after a few weeks he really warmed up. The other day he just went on about the goodness of the people he met who belonged to this church. He had nothing bad to say. It made me really grateful for the good examples of other people. Too often we meet with people who say that they see Mormons drinking and smoking and using crude language, so it was really nice to meet someone who has noticed the good of others. People really do see the example of their LDS neighbors, whether they be good or bad. It's so hard when people don't want to meet with us because of one bad experience with another member. So I'm so grateful to those who are stalwart in their example, it's far more powerful than any words we can say.
 
 
Today we went to a place called Salvation Mountain-basically a huge man-made mountain that a religious zealot spent 20 years making. I seriously can't describe it-but it was way cool!! Also, the other picture is of me with a member who makes me call her "Abuelita" and then makes me swear that I will never call any other lady I meet on my mission that. She's hilarious.
 
 
Another quote of the week: "My wife is very angry with me....pray for her.". When we ask if "there's anything we can do for people" I never expect that....
 
 
 
I loved President Monson's last closing remarks...."Be kind." It's simple, but at the same time hard. I've seen a lot of families not go to church because someone said an unkind word. People don't come back to the Gospel because of one word. They are denied blessings of the church because they are hurt. If it's one thing I have come to really dislike on my mission, it's people being blatantly mean. Spirits have been broken as a result and it's heartbreaking to watch, and it unfortunately happens a lot. SO be kind. You're saving souls doing so.
 
 
I love you all incredibly! Have an awesome week!!
Hermana Hess


No comments:

Post a Comment