Wednesday, February 13, 2013

13 February 2013 - I Am Fluent in Spanish!

The subject of this email is a total and indisputable lie.
 
HOLA FAMILIA!!!
 
Today marks one week since being in the MTC, and I would like to share some lovely things that I have learned since being in these hallowed halls, (even though they are on BYU campus:))
 
1. EXCLAMATION POINTS:
I always used to make fun of all the missionary letters that had an abundance of exclamation points in them, which always seem to end sentences like, "You guys, the spirit is SO strong here!!!" "The Church is so true and I am loving every minute here!!" "Y'all, we get to wake up at 6:30 tomorrow and STUDY THE SCRIPTURES!!!"
 
I have since repented.
 
Holy junk, people. Missionary work is real! I've been here a week and I will never be able to fully describe what incredible things go on here. It's so hard, it's so frustrating, it's so exhausting but I have never been this happy. It's an interesting set of emotions. But every morning when that lovely alarm clock goes off at 6:30 in the shoot dang morning, I get excited. I don't dread anything. What an incredible privilege to be doing this work. It's unlike anything I have ever done, and will ever do again in my life!
 
2. BEFORE I CAME HERE, I THOUGHT I KNEW HOW TO STUDY.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! That's a funny joke. Seriously. I have never studied so hard, and so diligently in my entire life. But want to know the cool thing? I've never felt such and INCREDIBLE desire to study. The Book of Mormon has become my haven. When I'm getting frustrated because Spanish is hard, or I'm tired or I didn't do well in a lesson. I go straight to the scriptures and I immediately feel better. It has become my best friend in this last week, and I'm grateful for them.
 
3. I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT THE SPIRIT FELT LIKE.
I've never been alone since being here. Not only do I have my companion (Hermana De Angelo...who is wonderful and I love her), but the Holy Ghost has not left my side once. NOT ONCE. He is with me always. I can feel Him always. That's why on my first night here in the empty sea, I wasn't scared, or lonely, or depressed because I had to say goodbye to you guys. I was stoked. I was happy. When that alarm goes off, I am stoked. I am happy. Cool, huh?
 
4. I THOUGHT I KNEW HOW TO LOVE.
Yet another funny joke. Since being here, my love for you guys has grown so much that I can hardly stand it. I have never loved you all more than I do right now. I love the investigator that I am teaching so much, that the only thing I want in this world is for him to feel of God's love. It's hard to explain and I'm doing a poor job of doing so, but my heart has gotten bigger since being here. I didn't think it was possible. Turns out it is. :)
 
The MTC is incredible, (you were right, dad!). It's so hard. I think the hardest part is not being able to teach the way I want to. I love teaching, I like having a big vocabulary, I like the way I get things across to other people and the most frustrating thing in the entire world is being in a teaching situation where you want SO BAD to bear your long-winded testimony, but you can't because you don't know the language. It's harder than I ever thought it would be. Not being able to bear your testimony through a song because you don't know how to sing the words. But I have learned something. Simple testimonies. Simple thoughts. Simple words. They bring the spirit the most. I can pray and bear a simple and short testimony, but that it all I need. Eventually the language will come, I know it will. Just gotta get through the basics.
 
You guys, I am living a miracle. I have seen miracles every single moment of every single day since being here. I wish I could write you more but my time is up (lame), but know that I love you more than you realize. As much as I love you, and Utah State, and my friends back there, there is no place that I would rather be.
 
Love you all with all my heart
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment