Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 20, 2013 - Still Hot Here!

Our mission president called our Zone Leaders the other day and told us that we aren't allowed to proselyte between 2-5 PM (which are prime proselyting hours....) because of the heat and apparently half of the missionaries here in the zone have gotten heat stroke. I haven't, because me and my companion have a blender and have milkshakes for breakfast. All is well in the desert!!
Oh and MOM AND DAD HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! I'm glad you two are married. We went to visit a member this week and found out that the mom and dad aren't married but living together. They're super faithful to the church, but then they proceeded to tell us that she is illegal and getting married would draw unwanted attention so they are content to live in sin and that God will understand. Law of Chastity, people. It's an important one. Also, too much information.
What a week! First of all, mom and dad, feeding the missionaries over here is working. We've gotten dinner and lunch appointments every day the past week. We told our ward mission leader that and he said the ward likes us because neither of us are from Utah. I reprimanded him and then went off to a breakfast appointment:)
Last Sunday 2 high councilmen came and talked about ward unity. I guess I got so spoiled with ward unity in past wards at home and at school that I never understood how important it is. We went to a member's (returning less-active) house the other day and he said that the reason why they didn't go to church for the past 2 years was because no one from the ward seemed like they wanted them there. No one went to visit or called them or anything until the missionaries came. He said that it's hard to bring in and fellowship new members of the ward because everyone keeps to themselves. The people in our ward are so incredible, I honestly think they are just scared to talk and make new friends outside the ones they already have. It's been a problem in the ward for a while. We have worked so hard to finally gain their trust, but we feel that they may have TOO much trust in us-they leave all the rescue work to the 6 missionaries in the area. I'm happy to...the thing is that missionaries have a tendency to, you know, leave. Then back to square one. 
TANGENT OVER.
Damian is doing great!! He goes to mission prep and FHE every week, he got the priesthood last Sunday, and he is introducing the missionaries to his friends and family! He's been going out on visits with the elders, so he's a missionary machine! He's still got a little bit of rebel in him-we were teaching him at the park outside his apartment when all of a sudden like 15 cop cars came to the park for a drug/gang bust. Me and my companion said "uhh, time to go" while Damian stands up on the park bench yelling "bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you!". Unwanted attention.
We contacted a guy who always sat at the park bench outside the church the other day, and he accepted the invitation to be baptized next month! His name is Jaime and we're pretty sure he's homeless. It's ok though because he's going to inherit the kingdom of God.
Last week on Sunday we went to Primary and sat in the back row. I basked. There is no more spiritual place in the church building than the primary room, in my opinion.
This week I read Moses 1 over and over again. It's probably one of my favorite chapters to read (and it always reminds me of mom. I always remember her telling this story.). Moses is transfigured and literally talks to God face to face. He understands and witnesses the glory of God, which there really is no words to describe. During this conversation, God calls Moses "My Son". Moses, an ordinary, natural man, understands that he is a Son Of God. After this encounter, Satan come to tempt Moses and the first thing he says is "Moses, son of man".
I can't think of a more degrading comment. Luckily, Moses knows who he is and casts Satan out, saying "I am a Son of God, where is your glory?".
The gospel that we live is simple. Sometimes members and missionaries alike tend to overcomplicate things when all we really need to know is that we are children of an Almighty and Supreme God. I think of the perfect love mom and dad have for their kids, and can't fathom how important we are to our Heavenly Father. When we know, really really know, who we are, then Satan has no power of us. We are constantly being reminded that we are children of God-I wish more people (myself included) listened to that more.
The most powerful scriptures (in my mind) are the simple one-liners. "For they are mine" "They were still brethren in the Lord" "Blessed art thou". Doesn't get better than that, people.
I thank my Heavenly Father every night for the opportunity to be here, to experience a small part of the love that He has for His children. It is perfect. So perfect that it's almost painful. We are a part of the only true gospel on the earth. WHAT A GREAT LIFE.
Con amor,
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment