Tuesday, August 6, 2013

August 6, 2013 - Mexicans love Pinterest too!

OH HEY FAMILY!
Just for your information, I forgot that I had a Les Mis song on my iPod and it came up on the shuffle this morning, so naturally I stood on the table and sang along as I WEPT because it is just SO PROFOUND. So if anyone wants to send me the rest of the soundtrack, I would not mind in the slightest. Just sayin'.
This was an awesome week! The highlight was definitely going to San Diego and listening to Elder Ballard (he says hi). We all got to shake his hand (which, by the way, was very soft. It was the physical manifestation of the comfort and power of the Holy Ghost I am sure of it.). It was one of the most powerful talks I've ever heard. I don't know what it is about being on a mission and listening to apostles and the prophets, but it just seems a lot more personal. He talked a lot about maintaining the eternal perspective. As missionaries, it's part of our calling to remind others of it, but so often we forget to remember ourselves. It was an awesome reminder that we are here, in this exact mission, in our respective areas because the Father sent us. As I think about the people I've met and the experiences I've had, it rocked me to the core that I am exactly where I need to be. Not at USU or Castle Rock, but here on the Mexican border eating cow stomach soup and teaching on dirt floors. And sitting there listening to an apostle, I came to the realization that I've never been happier. I told this to the YW before I left on my mission, but you really are at your happiest when you are doing what Heavenly Father needs you to do. I wish I could yell this to the world. It may be hard, but do it anyway. Choose God over man. Choose faith even though the world is pointing the other direction. Choose the road not taken, because it is worth it. Peace will always accompany, the spirit will always manifest, and life, even in the midst of trials, will always be good. No matter how much I love jumping into Logan river, or USU basketball games or mom's ribs or playing hand and foot, I'm glad I'm here.
One other favorite parts of the day was when a Sister missionary asked "How do we be exactly obedient without being rude or overbearing to the members and investigators?" and Elder Ballard replied "Sister. Relax. Be obedient, but enjoy your missions. Don't become a robot.". I gave him an inward fist-bump.
I think it was around my 2 week here in the field where Ty sent me an email that said "If you try to be their friend, they can learn to like you. If you help them feel the spirit and teach them, they WILL learn to love you". The more I look back on the past 6 months the more I realize it's true. We aren't here to try to be the ward's "favorite" or "funniest" missionary. We are here to preach the gospel and bring the spirit. The "side effect" of that is love. I've felt so much love from these members these past couple of months. Don't need to be their friend-just their missionary.
Quote of the week while visiting a family- "MY MOM SAID THAT IF I CAN SPEAK SPANISH AND ENGLISH I'LL BE RICH!" 

Also, while teaching primary music (which was one of my favorite moments of the mission thus far), "Wait, NEPHI DIED?!", I love kids.
We are teaching a less-active named Tanairi (I think I've told you about her). She's going through a lot of challenges right now and finally she just told us the other day "I am afraid of faith.". I've never heard someone say that before. She said that Heavenly Father gives challenges to the faithful-and she has the faith but she is afraid to show it because she can't handle more trials. It broke my heart. We explained that faith does not bring trials-but it brings us the strength to overcome them. I've never heard someone say that they have been afraid of faith but it made me think. If only people understood how loved they are. It makes me sad how satan works so deviously, that he can make someone be afraid of faith.
So I'm going through a conference talk phase.....send me your favs, please?
The area is going through a bit of a rough patch. Our zone is struggling to find new people to teach, and the investigators we DO have are starting to turn away from us. So if I could ask you to please pray that we may be able to find those who are prepared for the gospel? That would be spectacular. Muchisimas gracias.
Dad, do not buy a cow. They smell and they can't go down stairs. Also, you will be teaching seminary in the same room that I was in for the entire 4 years! It's a celestial place.

WE HAVE AC! What a blessing. We still go to the bishops every other week for dinner and we don't get to attend English wards... it's strictly not allowed. 

No one in the mission tracts! It's all member referrals, which is supposedly much for efficient. I don't think anyone told our members that. I HAVE FAITH. Oh and the mission pres only approves "Jesus The Christ" "Our Search for Happiness" "True to the Faith" and "Our Heritage" as other resources on the mission.
I need more Aggie gear....everyone here went to BYU or BYU-I. Gotta show em how it's done in Loganistan.
Hermana Sanchez (an older member who just got detained in the mental hospital yesterday) bore her testimony at church and said she was looking for a new husband so "sisters, watch out."..........
What's new on the home front!? I hope all is well and that everyone is super happy. I LOVE YOU!!!!
Con Amor,

Hermana Hess 

No comments:

Post a Comment