Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 31, 2013 - Nos Vemos 2013!

FAMILY!
 
Hey! Remember that one time where we got to talk a couple of days ago and it was THE BEST THING EVER?! Man, it was so good to talk to you!!! I barely remember what we talked about jaja but all I know is that it felt really, really good to hear your voices! It was so fun to hear Russell and Jacob in the background (by the way Cory and Joe, thank you for training Russell to say "I love you, Kelsey" as it was the best thing of my life.). I'm so glad all is well and everyone is happy!! David's email filled me in on all of the hand and foot/falling Christmas tree/YouTube video/Neil Diamond/Canadian Christmas song adventures and I couldn't help but laugh out loud and say "MY FAMILY IS THE BEST".
 
Christmas was amazing. I think the biggest miracle, though, was how quickly we went back to work after the festivities ended. We all spent the day at our bishops house, eating (and eating and eating....) and opening presents, but we also sang at the veterans home and got the chance to talk to some of the bishop's family who weren't members. By the time dinner was over, all the missionaries cleared out, and were back on the streets finding people to teach. We didn't get the chance to teach anyone that day, but we felt that the Lord was pleased with the decision we made to go back to work and not linger, when it could've been really easy to do so.
 
Despite the fact that we had a lot less proselyting time as usual, this week was awesome! Hermana Kelemen and I worked really really hard teaching as many people as we could find. There weren't a ton of people home (Tijuana is probably overflowing with the residents of Chula Vista right about now...) so we got the chance to see people we don't normally see and teach a bunch of different people. We've really been pushing to get members out in lessons with us; those lessons are always the best and most spiritual! The members of our ward haven't really caught the "urgency" of the work, so Bishop Chavez asked us missionaries to teach a lesson on how they can become involved in the work for the fifth Sunday. We set a goal of having every family inviting another family to their house for an FHE or dinner with the missionaries, and we expanded on that goal the whole lesson. It was so cool! We talked about how the people around us (our friends) don't have something that they desperately need. Once the members realize the enormity of what they have (the gospel) they'll want to share it more. We introduced ways that they could start a gospel conversation with their friends or co-workers, and addressed some of their fears. It was really cool to be up there, looking at all of the nodding heads and smiles as you could see the spirit of missionary work start to enter into their hearts. By the end of church, all of the companionships had members running up to them, inviting them for an FHE or offering to come out with us. MIRACLE!!!!
 
Speaking of miracles, Bertha is doing amazing! We went over the other day to teach her, and we asked her how she first heard of the church. She told us her friends were LDS but they never said anything about the Church. She always wanted to learn more, but she just didn't know how to ask. She ended up asking her friends "hey! how can I learn more about your church!? I think I want to be baptized!", and so they referred her to us missionaries. My testimony of member missionary work skyrocketed! She told us she would've been baptized months ago if someone just told her how to do it. She even asked us if she could have some pass along cards and pamphlets so she could give them to her friends. MAN I can't get over how much I love her!! She is well on her way of being truly converted. We taught her the word of wisdom yesterday and when we told her about tea and coffee she goes, "I can't have tea or coffee???? I drink it every day!!!.....but ok. This law is true. I'll obey and be blessed." Our mouths literally dropped to the floor. Just when we picked them back up, she says "I can't wait to tell my kids all about this church, that way they'll see my example and want to get baptized because of how happy I am!". I would like to add in my testimony of how missionaries do nothing. 100% Spirit right there. I'm so grateful I got the chance to know her!!
 
We are teaching a woman and her mom (Perla and Araceli) who are also really, really prepared. Whenever we teach them, they look like they're hanging on to every word we say! (THE SPIRIT IS AWESOME.) We taught them the Plan of Salvation the other day and when we laid the visual aid out in front of them, they just stared and stared and smiled and said "This is SO COOL. This makes so much sense!". The first lesson we ever had with them, Perla asked us "Why do bad things happen to good people?" It was a sweet experience to lay out the plan of salvation and testify that all will be made right in the end. I think that was one of my favorite lessons we've ever taught!!
 
Yesterday, we taught a bunch of self-proclaimed atheists. They were actually really kind and really open and it was a really fun lesson! At the end, one of them told us "man, I would LOVE to serve an 18 month mission for Jesus!"....5 minutes before he told us he didn't believe in Christ. Again, the Spirit does all the work! He told us he is going to University of Utah and when I told him that I was an Aggie, he reminded me that they were playing in San Diego that afternoon for the Poinsettia Bowl. I had to hum "Nearer My God to Thee" in my head for the next 15 minutes so I could get that out of my head and focus.
 
I was never one for new years resolutions, but as a missionary our minds are continually filled with goals and how we go about accomplishing them. David in his email mentioned that with the new year, we have the chance to change. I guess these past 11 months have helped me realize that as children of God, our potential is far greater than we realize, and that if we follow the council that is stated in Ether 12:27, we can hand God our weaknesses and become stronger. We can slowly realize this great potential that we have. I love looking at the people we teach and seeing them for who they can become, but every once in a while I forget that I can do that for myself. When we ask, Heavenly Father will allow us a glimpse of who He sees in us. We get the strength and the power to change and become more as a result! When I started my mission, one thing I knew for certain was that I wanted to come back a lot different, and while it's hard to see personal progress, I know that God takes His time shaping us IF WE LET HIM. We are going to become polished. I'm grateful I still have 7 months on my mission and a lifetime afterward to become polished.
 
Well, know that I love you all and am so pleased to be serving in the greatest place in the world!
 
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment