Tuesday, January 7, 2014

January 7, 2014 - Didn't See That One coming!



 
 
AAAAAAAND:
 
Transferred. What the heck! Yep, I'm leaving. I was honestly so shocked! I definitely wasn't expecting it AT ALL! It feels so weird! I spent 7 months in my first area and just 3 in this one...it feels like I just got here! I'm bummed. This area is exploding and I love the members and the investigators and I feel like I just barely got to know them. But I will say, it feels right. And even though I know it's right, I'm still heartbroken to leave. Struggle bus to the max.
 
This last week was incredible, though! Bertha came to church and introduced herself to everyone and just said how excited she was to be baptized next week! I'll still be able to come to that, which makes me really happy. Her countenance just shone the whole time. And Friday we took a member out with us to go see one of our investigators, but they cancelled last minute. Us and this member (bless her heart) knocked on 4 more doors and no one answered. Before we turned in for the night, we felt the impression to go try our investigators Helario and Maria. When they opened the door, they let us in and proceeded to bash us right in front of the member (that was a really lovely experience...). So we just asked if we could leave them with a song and then go and they agreed. When we sat down, the member we took with us (Hermana Sores!) just laid down the law and bore her testimony so strong! It was so cool to just watch! We seriously sat back as Maria and Hermana Sores just went back and forth talking about the Gospel! By the end of the night, Maria's countenance and heart changed COMPLETELY! As we left, Hermana Sores told us that before she left her house, she prayed that she would have the opportunity to bear her testimony to someone who needed it. Man, her testimony was ANSWERED. There was so much power, and her simple conviction of the gospel totally changed our investigator's heart. That was one of the coolest things I've seen on my mission!
 
One positive thing about being transferred: I don't have to speak in church this Sunday.
 
January 6th is "Die de los Reyes Magos" in the Mexican culture, and what they do to celebrate is they bake this huge thing of bread (Rosca del Pan) and hide little figurines of the baby Jesus in it! If you get the piece with Jesus, you have to cook tamales for everyone on February 2. I love this culture! We went over to a member's house and celebrated last night. Pictures have been attached:) I'm keeping my little plastic Jesus for the rest of my life. (Sacrilegious?)
 
This week I've been thinking a lot about how God answers prayers and how we receive divine guidance. I've been thinking about that and studying it for a lot of my mission. I am not a very good decision maker and I'm constantly worried about making the wrong ones, which only amplified after I entered the mission field. A lot of the time I pray and pray and expect this big, spectacular manifestation of the spirit and am constantly disappointed when said manifestation doesn't happen. There have been times where I've gotten off my knees frustrated and feeling alone (I'm working on it, people. This is what missions are for!). But after concentrating on this topic this past week, I realize that I have been going about it all wrong and that because my mind is so focused on getting an answer, I'm not paying attention to the simple feelings of peace that always accompany prayer. One thing that has brought me a lot of comfort is that receiving revelation and inspiration is supposed to be a struggle. I think it's SO cool how Heavenly Father respects our agency so much, that He lets us struggle and work and sweat. And then figure it out. The wonderful thing is, if we are obedient and righteous, God will consecrate our actions. God will never lead us down a path He doesn't intend for us to take, and it's a really amazing thing that sometimes, He lets us figure out that path on our own.
 
Sorry this is short and boring! I'm still reeling a little bit haha. What is going on with my life? But I am excited for this new area, wherever it is. I feel that I did what I needed to do in Chula, and while I'm really sad to leave, I know there are things that I need to learn wherever I need to go. Life is so good! It feels good to know that you belong to someone who knows far more than you do.
 
I love you SO MUCH!!!!!! Have a great week!
 
Hermana Hess



No comments:

Post a Comment