Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January 21, 2014 - "You speak Spanish? But you're so white!"

Oh hey crowd! Ready to hear about the insane week we had? I don't think I've ever been this tired in my life....
 
Last Tuesday night we got 2 calls from 2 different companionships who all told us that they were ready to call it quits and go home. The sad thing was, they've been out over a year and only have a transfer or two left. So Hermana Hansen and I went on 2 emergency exchanges this week to try and see what we could do. I went to bed Tuesday night so nervous about what I was going to say to these missionaries who've been out 4-5 months longer than me, so I prayed and prayed for the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Let me tell you, I have never felt the guidance of the Spirit more in my life haha. Man, can I just say how much I love being an instrument? Hermana Hansen and I were preparing so hard spiritually to help these sisters, and I know for a fact that without Heavenly Father's guidance we would have gone and returned in vain. Neither of us really remember what we said, but we are hoping and praying that it made a difference...that was something I never expected when I got this calling haha. Midnight phone calls are really fun.....
 
BUT we did go to the valley for an exchange! Oh man, driving into the desert felt like coming home! It felt like I never left, but at the same time, it didn't feel "mine" anymore. I lost all the stewardship for that area when I left 3 months ago. That was hard to accept haha, but my love for the people there will never diminish. We had a really great day seeing their new investigators, and we also saw a few members (my favorite ones:))!! We went and tried to see Damian, but he blew us off. I guess he hasn't been going to church since Sister Oliver and I left....We are bummed:( Keep Damian in your prayers! We called him and I left him a rather lengthy message. But other than that, I was in heaven. I am a reunion fan, people. It was so good to see them again! But as we drove back to Santee, I felt like it was mine, too. Life is good!
 
So those exchanges were how we started the week haha. It's cool to be working closer to President and Sister Clayton and the AP's. I have so much respect and love for the leaders of this mission. I'm stoked for this opportunity to learn from them.
 
Before I left Chula, the other sisters in the ward were teaching a woman named Ivette who is super solid! The day I heard I was getting transferred, we went to a Relief Society activity and Ivette pulled me aside and said "I need you to go to Santee and teach my sister!!". Her name is Diana and I've been thinking of her ever since I got here. We finally met her the other day and she is AMAZING! Man, she is prepared. She came to stake conference on Sunday and then to a fireside later that night and loved them both! We invited her to be baptized at the fireside and she said she'll have to think about it more and be more sure of her answer. I LOVE HER. PRAY FOR DIANA!
 
Favorite lesson we've ever taught: Samuel the Lamanite. Write down temptations or obstacles on a piece of paper, on the other side write how to overcome them, wad them up into a ball, and throw them at someone. We played this with the Calvillo family a few days ago and their 16 year old Elias was "Samuel". When we told him to declare repentance he just said "Repent or you will go to hell". It was easy to throw things at him. I've never been with a family who loved a lesson more, haha. With God, all things are possible!
 
We are also teaching a woman named Bertha who is blowing us away! Her 2 grown sons were baptized a few months ago and are still going really strong. Get this-she started the Book of Mormon the day after Thanksgiving and she is already done!!!! She pours over it ever day and retains everything! She says it's true and probably knows more about the Book of Mormon than I do. The thing is, she doesn't want to get baptized. We have been praying to know what we can to do help her, but we still can't seem to figure it out. She's afraid, we think, of what changes she will have to make if she gets baptized. I think she knows that becoming a member of this Church is lifelong, and I guess I never really understood why that was scary to converts or people taking the discussions. I've been blessed to know the joy and peace that comes from being a member my whole life, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it really is a huge step for these people who are searching. It requires a massive leap of faith and a lot of work. But it's cool to look at recent converts when they say  "it's so worth it!" Countenances don't lie. We will work with Bertha as long as we have to to help her realize it. She'll be a stellar Relief Society president one day.
 
Hey! I love you so much! Sorry this is a rushed email. But I hope you all are so happy!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CORY AND DAVID!!!!! David, even though you are turning 16 you may not go out on dates. It's giving me a heart attack.
 
Les quiero!
 
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment