Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16, 2013 - Mexican Water Balloons

 
This week I learned that here, they don't have water balloons. They fill up Ziplocs with water and then throw them at each other. When we asked a group of kids what they were doing they said, "They're Mexican water balloons!!" Almost died laughing. Also, yesterday I learned that the cross country teams at the high schools have to wear special pins when they run so that border patrol doesn't mistake them for an illegal running from the big brown fence. You learn the greatest things on missions....

I seriously think the weeks go by faster and faster as they go on. It's completely BUGGIN. This week was pretty normal! No drug deals, getting chased by dogs or finding lizards in our bathtub, so this may be a very boring letter. We've seen Damian every single day, he's come to church both weeks and he has his baptismal interview this Saturday at noon!!!! The kid is seriously on fire. We are teaching him the commandments and whenever we ask him questions he replies like he has Preach My Gospel memorized. The other day he came out with a laptop and after he closed it he said, "I should get used to not having this on all the time!" When we asked why he said, "Because I want to be a missionary like you. Missionaries don't use laptops, right?" Shoot freak dang this guy is a MIRACLE, PEOPLE. HE IS A MIRACLE. He asked me to sing at his baptism and I almost said no because I'm going to be an emotional wreck. The mission is changing me into a total girl.

This week we had a referral from a member, and when we went to go contact her she throws open the door, gives us a huge hug and says, "I've been waiting  for you missionaries! I haven't been to church in years and I am so ready to come back!!!" Turns out she has been a part of a super-strong LDS family for her whole life but she has never really been active. She just woke up one day and said, "I need the missionaries. I need to go back to Church!!" Since when did people start coming to US?! Definitely not complaining about that one. 
 
IF MY LITTLE BROTHER IS READING THIS YOU SHOULD EMAIL ME OR SOMETHING SO I KNOW YOU ARE ALIVE.

I can't get over how much I love the Valley and the ward. We have been seeing a member named Tanairi ever since I got here 4 months ago, and she has always been one of my favorite to see. Every time I go there I leave thinking "I want our mansions to be neighbors in Heaven". She means a lot to me and I love her a ton. She lives in a broken down trailer covered by a tarp with her husband, his two girls (whom she calls her own) and her mother and father in law. We went over there the other day and her mother in law told us that she moved to Bakersfield. I WAS DEVASTATED. But then a few days later she called and basically said "JUST KIDDING HERMANAS! FALSE ALARM!". We went over and ended up just talking for a while. She told us that she has had missionaries over at her place for years, but we were the first ones that she has really trusted. She ended up telling us a story about her past that really affected her and the way she lived her life and why the way she was (she's never told anyone before). And then she told us we were her best friends. I cried. I attached a picture!
 
This week, the guy who plays the piano for the ward wasn't going to be there, so the bishopric ended up asking us to play. You can't exactly say no to bishop...and it may or not have been the most terrifying moment of my life haha. Afterwards Bishop came up to me and my companion and said that he was grateful for our courage and our willingness to serve. He went on to say that it's when we are asked to do something that we may or may not be comfortable doing for the good of other people, that we are blessed. I guess that's  the whole point of a mission. To extend beyond the comfort zone into the miracle zone. It's when we "do things anyway" no matter how terrified we are, that miracles happen. 
 
This week, me and my comp have a goal to "do it anyway". No matter how scary it is. It's putting your faith in Heavenly Father that he will catch you-you just gotta make the initial leap. 

Sorry. Boring-as-junk letter. I'll do something crazy this week and tell you about it!
 
Love you all like crazy!
 
Hermana Hess 

No comments:

Post a Comment