Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July 2, 2013 - Gifts of the Spirit


 
 
Me and my companion decided that being able to eat all of the food that they put on our plate and not throw up is a gift of the Spirit.
 
HEY FAM!
This week I fulfulled a life-long dream of mine and cooked an egg on the sidewalk. You think I'm kidding. There is a picture to prove it. I live in an oven.
It's been a crazy-busy week. It's flown by and I can't believe that we are halfway done with the transfer. I can't believe that I hit 5 months this week. IT'S BUGGIN, PEOPLE. BUGGIN. Sister Oliver is growing leaps and bounds. She is exactly like I was when I first entered into the field, so it's super interesting to see how much I have personally changed. I realize that I'm a lot softer, and I listen a lot more. I don't jump into extending a commitment or starting a lesson like I used too (what?! SISTER HESS IS THINKING BEFORE SHE SPEAKS, PEOPLE. THE MISSION IS WORKING.). But I really love her a ton-it's nice to have someone to stand on tables and sing opera with. 
 
This week we taught the 2 guys we met on the street corner last week (the lesson we taught in the middle of a drug-deal...). One of them seemed super interested in the message, but the other one was really quiet. When we asked what his thoughts were, he told us that he didn't really want to visit with us because he liked and identified with the devil more. We got out of that lesson quickly and decided never to go back to that place again. Sketch-city.
I don't know what it is about this transfer but our district and zone is getting super close. Our district elders make us breakfast and we in turn write them poetry and recite said poetry at district meeting. We are lucky that we work closely with one another and there is always support there. I never thought that having the support of the other missionaries in your district would be so important!! So life is good in the Valley. It's hot, our investigators never come to church, and there are a lot of bugs in our house, but life is good. I seriously can't even imagine leaving the Valley! We are going to San Diego tomorrow for a trainer meeting and it's going to be so weird....
 
We are working with a returning less-active and her boyfriend (baby daddy...) who FINALLY GOT MARRIED YESTERDAY. Layla and Vinny are no longer living in sin. What a blessing. She is so cute-she said that she didn't want a big wedding or a big party because she wanted to save all that for when they all get sealed. Now all we gotta do is baptize the kid. (And when I say kid, I mean KID. She's 19 and he is 20). We will pray for them.....
 
New thing that I am terrified of: Translating. We had an English sister come to our ward on Sunday who was just passing through (she was a truck driver), so I translated for her during Relief Society. SCARIEST THING OF MY LIFE. Not gonna lie, made up about half of it. But it was about the plan of salvation so at least I had Preach My Gospel to back me up. But on Sunday I got to sing "Lead Kindly Light" In Spanish so that was basically the highlight of everything:) (Made the bishop cry. Whoops.). Speaking of bishop, he stood up in combined meeting and basically gave the entire ward a smackdown. He said that "you are destroying your families if you choose Mexicali, vacations, and work over church"....woof. But at the same time I wanted to yell out an "AMEN" accompanied by a fist-pump. Props to bishop for boldness! If he didn't like the missionaries so much, I would be sincerely afraid.
 
DAD HAPPY BAPTISMAL DAY ON THURSDAY. We aren't allowed to be outside after 7, so our mission president gave us homework. We have to read Jacob 5 for three hours and talk about it with our companions. There are few things that I....skip.....when I read the Book of Mormon. The Isaiah chapters in 2 Nefi and the Olive Tree Allegory.....someone needs to make me a study guide cause it's gonna be a struggle bus.
 
I'm in the middle of the New Testament right now in personal study. Currently in 2nd Corinthians, and I love the simplicity of it. Chapter 5 verse 7...."We must walk by faith rather than by sight". Isn't that the whole purpose of being here on the earth? To walk, not out of blindness, but by faith. Being here in the Valley is teaching me faith and patience, and sometimes I need to remember that we reap what we sow. There is a great talk by Elder Holland, and in it he says "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come till heaven. But for those who embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. There is help and happiness ahead."
 
We reap what we sow. If we sow bountifully, we will reap bountifully. But at times I think many people expect instant, bountiful results. That's the beauty of faith. Part of faith is having the confidence that the blessings (which have already been secured for us by a loving Heavenly Father) will come at the perfect moment. The Plan is perfect, we are not. Sometimes I need to remember this:)
 
DAD DO NOT BUY A COW. If I wasn't allowed to get a fish when I was in the 2nd grade you shouldn't be allowed to get a cow. Go get some ramen and pasta salad and put it in food storage if you're that worried.
 
Love you all the most. You have no idea!!
 
Con amor,
 
Hermana Baby Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment