Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 23, 2013 - I Love Air Conditioning!

This week was really hot. This week the air conditioning broke in our house and the members we stay with are on vacation. This week we broke into the pool house (with the consent of the members) and slept on bean bag chairs and I've never said a more fervent prayer of gratitude for worldy things like AC, cold showers, and refrigerators in my life. And then the water in the pool house stopped working so I brushed my teeth using a water bottle.
 
I love being on a mission!!!! And I mean that in the truest sense possible.
Today we found out if we are getting transferred and I'm staying!! THANK HEAVENS. I wanted to stay so bad. I'm definitely not done with the Valley and I'm just glad that it's not done with me. I'm glad I'm going to be here for Damian's baptism (BY THE WAY! That same day the elders are baptizing a family. 4 baptisms in one day-I can't even imagine a more incredible miracle.). WHAT A GOOD LIFE. It's not even weird that I prayed to stay even though I knew it was going to reach 128 degrees this month. Bring it.
This week my companion became a Spanish missionary. She ate so much that we had to pull the car over 4 times so she could get sick on the side of the road. I said "welcome to Spanish work!". I know it's gross, but I thought it was funny.
We got mail this week!! Thank you so much for the skirts and the letters! It was the best ever. They all fit and look saweeet and everyone was jealous cause my family is the best in the world. Thanks for all of that!!
Yesterday we had a really good day. We taught a bunch and added an investigator names Herminda who already has a testimony of The Book of Mormon. She only had it in English (which she doesn't speak a lick of) and when we asked her how she reads it she just said "I use the dictionary a lot!". Such a cool lady! We went and contacted 2 referrals and both of them had their husbands pass away very recently. My companion said that she didn't feel like she could console them so she turned it all over to me. Not gonna lie. It was hard. Talking about how you can and will be happy after something like that happens to you is awesome and I'm really glad that I can say those things having experienced it, but doing that for 2 and a half hours was mentally and emotionally draining. But we saw Damian right after and he picked me right up when he said that he "couldn't wait until he went to the temple and became a missionary because this gospel makes him so happy.". He also said he is handing out mormon.org cards like crazy. This kid is probably a better missionary than I am! He is so excited to be baptized on Sunday. I want our mansions to be right next to each other in the eternities.
I've said that I have the best district in the world before, but man. I HAVE THE BEST DISTRICT IN THE WORLD. We got super close this transfer. One of the is leaving tomorrow and all of us are super bummed. I thought hard goodbyes were going to be over! FUNNY JOKE. But we all made dinner on Sunday and took district pictures at the border. The other districts in the zone call us "The Family".
The spirit is a cool thing. I think sometimes we forget that he is the third member of the Godhead and as a result is an incredibly important aspect of the gospel. I'm so grateful that as a missionary, I have been able to feel the power of it running through my veins. But I think I (we) need to remember that huge manifestations of the spirit don't happen very often. It is manifest in the small things. The feelings of peace and happiness we feel throughout the day. It may not be the heart-pounding feeling we sometimes feel we have to experience. We as saints need to quiet down, and remember to recognize the little things. I've been focusing on that a lot lately (which is hard cause even the voice in my head is loud...) and I can feel a difference. The companionship of the spirit is incredible!
Welp, I love you all! Sorry for the boring letter. There are miracles happening over here in the desert and I am so grateful that not only do I have a family who I can constantly feel through their prayers, but a family that I can share these miracles with.
I hope we recognize these every day miracles that at times, we have a tendency to miss!
With all my heart,
Hermana Hess



No comments:

Post a Comment