Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9, 3013 - We Found Damian!!!!



Oh hey hey HEEEEEEEEEEEEY FAMILY!!!!!!!
 
So this has probably been the best week of my mission. Maybe my life. I don't even know.
 
Last week we got a referral from the elders about someone they met while they were doing laundry on P-day. When they called us they were super excited and told us to "commit him to baptism! This guy is awesome!!" so on Wednesday we tried to go contact him. There was a person walking out of his apartment and when we asked her if she knew a "Damian Noriega" she said she has never heard of him. So we were pretty bummed and started to walk away. Then we both stopped and decided to go back one more time. We walked back and saw a 21 year old outside of the apartment looking for something. When he saw us he pointed and said, "You two! I've been looking for you! I know I'm supposed to talk to you!"
I have never in my life met someone so prepared for the Gospel!! He is soaking everything in and is always saying, "This is right. This feels so right!!" We have seen him every single day since then and he is getting baptized on the 27th of this month!!!!!! I don't even have the words to describe this experience. He seems so familiar in so many ways and I feel like I've known him for years. Heavenly Father really puts prepared people in your path. He wants the priesthood, he wants to serve a mission. He has already said that this past week he's never felt happier. He says he can't go a day without reading the Book of Mormon. The first time we met him, when we invited him to pray to know if what we taught is true, he said "I'll pray, but what if I already know?"
 
I know that a lot of missionaries have experiences like this, finding the people they were supposed to find. But until I experienced it myself I didn't know the incredible joy that it brings to be the instrument. I seriously go to bed every night in tears thanking my Heavenly Father for allowing me to be the one to help bring him back. When you find the people you knew before, there is no greater feeling. This is joy, people. SO MUCH JOY. One of the best parts is that it was a group effort. The Elders in our district were the first people to talk to him, so they are a part of his story as much as we are. Our district is getting super, super, close. Evidence is in the pictures that I have attached! (....some pictures of the text messages they sent us after we told them about our first lesson with Damian.) It feels good to be a part of a family here in the Valley.
The best part is when he prays after our lessons and he says, "Thank you Heavenly Father, for my sisters." I CAN'T GET OVER IT.
 
So that's my life right now. Add to the fact that one of the families we teach (the Brillones family who never comes because they always to Mexicali) asked what they should wear to church when they come on Sunday makes for one verrrrry happy Hermana Hess. I cannot get over how many miracles are taking place here in the Valley. The Silva family (a less active family that we have been working with since I arrived) has been coming to church for the past 3 weeks and the teenage daughter even bore her testimony (I cried like a baby). Amazing things are happening and I seriously can't believe I am here witnessing it. It's 120 degrees here and I've never been happier.
This week was crazy busy. We had a meeting for trainers and trainees so we drove out to San Diego on Wednesday. It was strange haha. Last transfer I was at the trainee part of the meeting, this transfer I was with the "oldies". I was the youngest one there so it was WEIRD. On Thursday because it was the 4th of July we weren't allowed to be out past 7, so our mission president instructed us to use that time to study Jacob 5. I never really liked the Olive tree allegory before, but this time I spent hours pouring over it. It's easily one of the coolest chapters in the Book of Mormon!!! It is evidence that God loves us personally. I think He says "It grieveth me that I lose this tree" 8 times. We are significant. We are children of an Almighty Heavenly Father, who is the master and creator of all things, and yet His eye is on the sparrow. We are as dust, and yet we are everything to Him.
 
THERE WAS A LIZARD IN THE TUB THIS MORNING.
I love you all SO MUCH! I hope that all is well and that you are so happy. Mom and dad, remember that crayon-drawing I did of the house and put up on the living room wall? You should paint the house like that:)
Con amor,
Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment