Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014 - The day our Mission President's wife came on an exchange with us!



Hey family!

This week by far has been the craziest week of my entire life. I don't even know where to start!  We've had MTE's all this week and have been on three exchanges with the other sisters. It's been really fun, though. I've been able to go back to both of my old areas and see a lot of the people and members over there so it's been the best! I love being able to work closer with President Clayton and the assistants-I'm learning a ton from them and every time we leave a meeting I get super pumped to go out and work with the sisters.

Last week we had the most incredible lesson with Bertha! She's asked us to not invite her to baptism anymore, but after she bore her testimony last Sunday we felt like we needed to ask her again. So we did and she just was silent for a minute and then says "I know this is true. I know this is what God wants me to do." WE WERE DYING!! She told us that she wants one of her sons to baptize her. So we were pretty stoked that night:). The bad news is that she went back to Mexico yesterday....dangit. But we sent the missionaries down there her information and we know that we've done what we needed to do up here. I love her so much, and I'm so grateful I got the chance to know her!

This past week were the MTE's for my area, and we didn't want to ask the other sister trainers to leave their area again so we were just going to go without a coach this time around. We were joking a couple of days before about asking Sister Clayton to come with us and then both of us look at each other and said "Why Not?!". We didn't expect her to say yes...but she ended up being our coach last Thursday! It was the COOLEST! We set up a lot of appointments that day that were bilingual, so she could be able to really get into the work. It was fun to see our dignified and incredible mission president's wife hunker down and eat mole like a champ! But the best part of the day was our last appointment with our investigator Amber-she speaks no English but we set up that appointment way in advance and we didn't want to change it. We taught her a really cool lesson about agency and why we're here on the earth. The spirit was SO strong, but it completely shot up when we asked Sister Clayton to bear her testimony. She puts her books down, looks Amber straight in the eye, and bears the most powerful testimony I've ever heard! Hermana Hansen and I were both translating, but it wasn't even necessary. The spirit was carrying her words right straight into Amber's heart, and she was just smiling the whole time. It testified to me that it really doesn't matter what language you speak-the spirit is felt exactly the same way by everyone. So that was basically the best experience of life. We went back a few days later and she was able to recall exactly what Sister Clayton said, and accepted a baptismal date! I love missionary work....

Yesterday myself and one of the English trainers went to the Valley for their MTE's-bliss! Going back to Chula Vista and Calexico has been so fun-at the same time, it's definitely not "mine" anymore. The sisters in both areas are tearing it up!! But it was fun to go back to the places I loved and still love. The best part of the Valley MTE was listening to the testimonies of the departing missionaries. One of them was talking about a pair of twins name Christian and Patrick that they just baptized last week-in my mind I kept thinking "Christian and Patrick, Christian and Patrick........OH MY GOSH WE HELPED TEACH THEM!!!!". Sister Oliver and I contacted and taught them back in September!! I remember those lessons so clearly. They were so excited to be baptized when we first talked about it. It made me so happy that they have joined the church, and their formally less-active mom is now totally active! It was a tender mercy for sure. You never know what seeds you are planting-that was a good and needed reminder. I just sat there and smiled and smiled and smiled.

Time is flying, but I am honestly so happy and there are so many things going on that I don't even look at the calendar, and I can't believe it's been a year since I entered the MTC! We haven't been in our area a whole lot, but the days that we spend here are miracle filled. I've learned a lot about prioritizing and I have loved getting down on my knees and asking my Heavenly Father what He needs us to do-and He will. Every time. I have loved this opportunity to ask Heavenly Father what these sisters need, and what our investigators need and it feels so dang good to hear His words come out of our mouths. Being an instrument is the best and happiest thing I've ever done and I cannot wait to keep doing it for the next 6 months!

I love you so much! I pray for you daily, and I feel your prayers daily. Be happy!! 

Hermanita Hess! 

Pictures-Bertha, Juan and Cesar Buenrostro (the miracle fam!) and us with Sister Clayton after our exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment