Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 25, 2014 - Mexican Marriage Advice

The members are hilarious. And since we are sister missionaries, they apparently think it's important to give us marriage advice (which we do NOT SEEK by the way) in every appointment. This golden council from this week was "Don't get married until you are 25 and have spent the first part of your 20's partying and going to baile's and being stupid. Because once you are married, you then have 10 kids which means you are dead to the world.". Thank you, Hermana Fernandez, for that precious piece of counsel. Heavens. 

This week was SO SICK. I know I've said this before, but I love being with a companion who isn't afraid to work her tail off. It's so much easier to just go out and do the work when you have someone who is right there with you the whole time and is happy to do it. We added five new investigators yesterday within 2 hours because of our mutual commitment to obedience. It's a good life when you and your companion are unified in purpose.

Jorge is doing so well! His baptismal date is still set for March 8th and he is so excited. He loves church (especially priesthood-he participates a ton!!) and is so solidly converted that he is starting to teach US. We are teaching his 16 year old daughter and when he comes it's like we have a member with us! He's solid. He has been having really bad headaches that came from an old accident and he told us the other day, "I know they will go away after I am baptized and have the gift of the Holy Ghost.". He continues to render us speechless. CHAMP. 

We have a really cool 16 year old in our ward named Laura Calvillo who comes out with us all the time! Last week she told us that she wants us to go visit her friend Jocelyn, but she didn't have the address. A few days later we were walking around in this trailer park and contacted a couple on the street. They said that they didn't know anyone in the complex but that their neighbor speaks Spanish, so we should go knock on that door. When we knocked on the door, this 16 year old answers and tells us her name is Jocelyn. We were floored!! Out of all the houses and apartments in Santee and El Cajon, we knock on HER door! MASSIVE miracle right there!! We started teaching her at Laura's house and she is going to mutual tonight, and coming to church on Sunday. The veil is thin in missionary work! The Lord's hand is so prevalent I can't even believe it. It's been over a year and I still get floored by the miracles we see!! That same day, we asked everyone we saw for a referral. We would immediately contact them, teach them, add them as investigators, and they would give us a referral. Repeat the process 4 times and we added 4 souls that day. I spent a long time on my knees that night saying a prayer of gratitude. 

Fun moments: We were visiting a less active who told us that she woke up one night floating a foot above her bed and talking to Jesus face to face. Also, I broke the record by eating 3 taco's de pollo in 2.5 minutes.

This week was a week where I have just loved serving in the Hispanic culture. I love the way they can't sing on key during the church hymns, I love the way they tell you like it is straight to your face and are not afraid of offending anyone, I love the way they get up and dance without shame at branch parties, I love the way their faces light up when you serve yourself seconds of the ridiculous amounts of food they make you, I love how dramatically they speak.  Needless to say, I feel extraordinarily comfortable around them haha. I love these people so dang much!!!

I hope everyone is so happy!! I love you all. Have such a great week!! 

Hermana Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment